This recipe is a classic and traditional cherry pie in Washington, it has a really unique flavor and looks, distinctive flavor as well, try it by yourself!
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Additional: 1 hr
- 2 cups pitted fresh dark sweet cherries, such as Bing or Lambert
- ⅓ cup bottled cherry juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small chunks
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
In a bowl, mix the cherries, cherry juice, almond extract, brown sugar, white sugar, and flour until the sugar has dissolved; allow to stand while you prepare pastry dough, about 15 minutes.
Line a 9-inch pie dish with a pastry crust, and fill with the cherry filling; sprinkle small chunks of butter over the filling. Top with the remaining crust, and crimp the edges to seal; cut several steam vents into the top crust with a sharp paring knife.
Bake in the preheated oven until the cherry filling is bubbling and thickened and the pie crust is browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.